Pages

Blog Archive

Labels

Tuesday, May 11, 2010
Jennifer Knapp in 1998
It's time
To get down on my knees and pray
"Lord, undo me!"
Put away my flesh and bone
'Til You own this spirit through me Lord,
Undo me.


- "Undo Me"

Lord, come with your fire,
Burn my desires; refine me
Lord, my will has deceived me
Please come and free me
Refine me


- "Refine Me"

Knapp in 2010
Even though they say we have fallen
Doesn’t mean that I won’t do it twice
Given every second chance
I choose again to be with you tonight


– “Fallen”

Sorry I ever gave a damn
Sorry I even tried…
If it made a difference
I might grin and take it all in stride
Walk an extra mile just for your pride


– “If It Made a Difference”

I know they’ll bury me before they hear the whole story…
I know they won’t care to chalk it up to a mistake
Or, God forbid, they give me grace
Well, who in the hell do they think they are?


– “Inside”
As most Christians probably know by now, Christian musician Jennifer Knapp "came out" as a lesbian recently as she began to promote her new "Letting Go" CD, which just released today. I came across the lyrics to several of her songs this morning which you can read above. Gone are the worshipful lines and pleas for spiritual sanctification. Instead, Knapp's lyrics seem full of anger, rebelliousness, and pride. She has chosen the cares and lusts of this life over the eternal rewards of the next. May she yet repent and let Christ truly undo her.

She and Ray Boltz are only the beginning of what promises to be many "Christian" artists publicly and proudly falling for the desires of this world. What is particularly sad in their cases is that both Knapp and Boltz weren't the ones you'd expect to fall. As opposed to so many of their contemporaries in the CCM industry, they were lyrically solid and seemed well-founded on the Gospel... which I suppose is a good warning to all Christians that right doctrine alone won't protect you when Potiphar's wife comes knockin'.

0 comments:

Recent Comments

Widget_logo

Darius' book montage

The Cross Centered Life: Keeping the Gospel The Main Thing
Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
Overcoming Sin and Temptation
According to Plan: The Unfolding Revelation of God in the Bible
Disciplines of a Godly Man
Money, Greed, and God: Why Capitalism Is the Solution and Not the Problem
When Helping Hurts: Alleviating Poverty Without Hurting the Poor. . .and Ourselves
The Prodigal God: Recovering the Heart of the Christian Faith
Respectable Sins
The Kite Runner
Life Laid Bare: The Survivors in Rwanda Speak
Machete Season: The Killers in Rwanda Speak
A Generous Orthodoxy: Why I am a missional, evangelical, post/protestant, liberal/conservative, mystical/poetic, biblical, charismatic/contemplative, fundamentalist/calvinist, ... anabaptist/anglican, metho
Show Them No Mercy
The Lord of the Rings
Life at the Bottom: The Worldview That Makes the Underclass
The Truth War: Fighting for Certainty in an Age of Deception
Cool It: The Skeptical Environmentalist's Guide to Global Warming
The Chronicles of Narnia
Les Misérables


Darius Teichroew's favorite books »